SOTW: Mazda RX7 Type R RE-Amemiya AC037
Following up from last weeks Mitsubishi Lancer Turbo 2000, this Mazda RX-7 is equally rare. Possibly the only RX-7 in the country with the super rare RE-Amemiya AC037 bodykit, and one of only a handful in the world, you are looking at a mint condition show car with a features list to impress.
I’ll let the advert do the talking..
[quote]I’ve had the pleasure of owning this beautiful car for 2 years now. However it is with great reluctance that I am putting it up for sale. My circumstances have changed and I am preparing for my final year of university which involves living in the city for the next year, I’m not prepared to keep the car parked outside on the street and I could do with the money to finance some ventures in the coming year.
This FD3S twin turbo was built by a prestigious tuning company in japan – Re-Amemiya. The car is the Type R model (light-weight sport model). The car has been vastly upgraded from the factory spec, with many thousands of pounds spent following its purchase 5 years ago. I have a file with history / receipts including a full engine strip down and re-build. The car is registered as a 1.3 litre rather than 2.6 litre (registered before the rotary tax loop-hole was closed), allowing it to be taxed at £70 for 6 months!
The car wears an ultra-rare RE Amemiya AC037 bodykit. This kit retails at around £5700 once imported from Japan. It is to the best of my knowledge the ONLY ONE of its kind in the country. In addition to the above the car is equipped with many other items from the RE Amemiya catalogue (side-skirts, rear spats, rear diffuser, rear light cover etc.) as well as other high profile JDM brands (bringing the bodywork total near the £8k mark). The car has been fully re-sprayed in gorgeous House of Kolor Kandy paint (wild cherry and burgundy) following a colour change from yellow pearl shortly after it was imported. The car was also smoothed to accentuate the lines of the car and kit (with many non-essential items removed or re-located such as the fuel filler).
A fortune has also been spent on the mechanicals to ensure that the car is reliable, drives and handles well. In March 2008 the engine was removed and treated to a full strip down and re-build by rotary engine specialists Lindop Motorsport. While the engine was out the clutch was replaced and several other reliability mods were performed. This work cost £3485 alone. The twin turbo pack was replaced by WGT. The boost is set fairly low at the moment (0.8 bar) allowing for around 320bhp at the flywheel. The car weighs around 1150kgs and already has substantial amount of power, I would not recommend it for an inexperienced driver.
The car was widely featured in magazines. It has two full 4 page magazine features and countless best of show / cruise mentions. The car has also won several awards and trophies. Upon taking its ownership I had the car taken to one of the finest car audio installers in the world, Sonic Frontiers who re-built the doors to house 6.5″ woofers (currently Morel Hybrid Drivers) and A-Pillars to house a range of different high performance tweeters. The headunit and tweeters have been removed because their value to me is far greater than the money I would receive by selling them with the car.
The list of modifications is extensive. Only high quality JDM parts have been used. Please check the spec list below to get an idea on the vast array of parts and the time / money spent.
The car is taxed and has a fresh MOT as of September. [/quote]
- RE Amemiya AC037 front end (including genuine Porsche 911 (993) lights, FRP hood and nose cone)
- RE Amemiya AD step D1 side skirts (FRP)
- RE Amemiya AD Front Fenders (FRP)
- RE Amemiya Rear spats
- RE Amemiya rear light garnish/spoiler (modified to improve appearance)
- RE Amemiya style rear Street Diffuser (Mark 1 diffuser)
- AeroMarker aero mirrors (with side repeaters added)
- Carbon (effect) door handles
- Re-spray in House of Kolor Kandy Burgundy / Wild Cherry blend (over deep mica violet metallic base) 2:1 blend ratio. Additional paint will come with the car.
- Car fully smoothed to emphasize lines of car and bodykit. Rear wiper, wash, ariel, and side markers removed. Front washers relocated. Front side markers removed. Front side repeaters and indicators removed relocated. Boot lock, number plate holder and badges removed and smoothed.
- Rear quarters and shut lines levelled and smoothed to meet bodykit.
- Fuel filler removed and re-located to boot (aero-cap).
- RX7 Type X (luxury model) full deep red leather interior (inc head lining).
- A-Pillars and Doors Re-designed and Re-trimmed by Sonic Frontiers using high quality deep red leather
- Deep red leather trimmed centre console, centre dash and dome
- Deep red mats (imported from USA)
- Factory option RX7 stamped aluminium sill plates
- GReddy Oil Pressure, Oil Temp & Water Temp Gauges (in dash-mounted pod)
- GRreddy PRofec B Spec II Boost controller
- Momo Millennium Evo leather steering wheel with snap off momo boss for security
- Momo carbon gear knob
- Momo handbrake cover & leather gaiter
- Apexi commander (displays car stats to monitor performance) in R Magic holder
- Boot floor Re-built and Re-trimmed by Sonic Frontiers
- Rear strut brace
- 13B Rotary Engine (twin turbo) with complete strip down and re-build by Lindop Motorsport in March 2008 (using approved Mazda parts).
- Exedy clutch (new – September 2010), clutch release valve and clutch cylinders replaced.
- Royal purple oil.
- Apexi Power FC ECU – Mapped by WGT.
- Greddy down pipe.
- Straight through mid-pipe / de-cat, silencer added midway through the system.
- Auto Project De-storm exhaust back box.
- 2 x HKS filters and polished hard pipes.
- MazdaSpeed Plug Leads and Coil.
- NGK cold grade spark plugs.
- Polished UIM.
- Polished alternator.
- RE Amemiya SMIC hard pipe (polished).
- Uprated ARC SMIC with custom ducting
- HKS oil cap.
- MazdaSpeed polished strut brace.
- Alu Air Separation Tank.
- FC Thermoswitch and new thermostat (lower temp for safety).
- HKS SSQV BOV.
- Carbing aluminium radiator cooling plate.
- Various tuner badges.
- Silicone hosing to detail.
- Tein SuperStreet Coilovers.
- Geometry and tracking professionally set-up by Revolution Motorsport
- 4 pot Type R callipers
- Project Mu SCR front discs (slotted)
- Project Mu uprated front pads
- Blitz Techno Speed Z1 3 piece split rim wheels – 18×8 (front) 18×10 (rear)
- Centres re-sprayed copper.
- 5Zigen Pro-racer Wheel Nuts (anodised red) with locking nuts
- Continental 265/35/18 tyres – Rear
- Toyo 225/40/18 tyres – Front
- Doors completely stripped down and rebuild to house 6.5″ woofers. Extensive sound deadening and soundwave diffusion used.
- Morel Do-Tech Ovation 6.5″ Woofers, Morel woofers which outperform competing speakers retailing at more tha twice the price.
- Over £150 of speaker cable, by Chord and Merlin used. This is where the finest details are heard through correct equipment matching and precise installation.
- The Head-unit and Tweeters will not be included because their value would not be reflected by upping the price of the car.
- Clifford G5 category 1 alarm / immobiliser with optional remote central locking and proximity alert sensors
- Snap-off steering wheel boss
Trophies / awards / magazines
- Best RX7 FD Trophy – Rotorstock III
- Runner up Best Mazda Trophy – Rising Sun Car Show 2007
- Chosen as one of a few selected rotary cars to open Rotorstock IV at Santapod
- 4 page feature – J Tuner magazine
- 4 page feature – Redline magazine
- Car of show / cruise in various issues of Max Power, Redline, Fastcar
[quote]The only significant issue present with the car is that the solenoid that activates the 2nd turbo appears to have stopped working. I no longer have the time to get this sorted out as I am away at Uni. I am told by various specialists that it is a common fault and that the solenoid is not an expensive part to replace. The paintwork has also suffered some scratches and cracks on the rear and front bumpers sadly due to the ineptitude of other drivers in car-parks. I have a tin of the original paint mixture which can be used to repair them. The above issues are reflected in the price I have given.
If you have any questions feel free to email me. However I do not have time to be wasted. If you are a serious buyer with genuine intent I will make the trip home from University to show you the car. Please do not email me with offers of part exchanges or offers for parts from the car as this is not what I am looking for.[/quote]
This beautifully rare RX-7 can be found on Pistonheads for £6,495.